As one of the participants in the Teachers Pay Teachers Author Inauguration Day FREEBIE EVENT (January 20, 2017), I and many TpT sellers have gotten together to create resources that help reinforce values that many of us feel are significantly important at this transition time in our history.
We have created FREE resources around the following themes:
- Understanding our Branches of US Government and the US Constitution
- History of civil rights movements, including suffrage
- Environmental issues including climate change
- Critical thinking and examining media bias
- Kindness, empathy, compassion
- Equality and inclusion for all people
- Understanding and respecting cultural differences
I have created SIX posters about the American Dream. I define the American Dream as following and living those ideals for which past generations have fought for and have given us as their legacy:
- WOMAN’S SUFFRAGE
- CIVIL RIGHTS
- HUMAN RIGHTS
Each poster has four representative individuals of that era who were influential in establishing those ideals. Each individual has an attributed quote that can be used as a class discussion starter or to analyze the meaning of the words in the quote.
There are so many uses for these colorful posters:
- have students represent each American value through an art project
- have students pick an individual and research this person’s life and report back
- have students compare and contrast select quotes
- have students think of new quotes each individual would say about a current event or “hot topic”
- have the students rewrite a quote with synonyms or antonyms
- have the students trace the origin of the quote – why was it said?
- have the students make a game using the quotes
- have the students find other quotes for each ideal or American value
- have the students translate the quotes into other languages
- have the students memorize the quotes
The sixth poster is a cumulative poster showing all the ideals of the American Dream and the individuals. There is also a section that shows a brief summary of what they were fighting for and the outcome. They can also be used as bookmarks!!
To search for more FREEBIES for this event, just use these hashtags to search on TpT:
I hope you find many wonderful and fabulous FREEBIES on this day. Let me know how you will use the posters!
Drop by these other Bloggers to find more ways to use these FREEBIES!!